Ohio State is where you find your place
The College of Social Work is where you’ll find your academic home. With the opportunity to pair your social work major with any one of our 200 majors or 150 minors, you’ll be encouraged to explore your passions and interests while deepening your understanding of social work in today’s changing society. The College of Social work gives you the guidance to find your unique path.
Social workers are found in almost every facet of life. At The Ohio State University College of Social Work our close-knit community of undergraduate students, faculty and advisors will provide an academic environment that allows students to explore all those possibilities and equip you with a degree that will take you where you want to go. The College of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and is the oldest continuously accredited public social work program in the country.
Bachelor of Science in Social Work Mission Statement
The Ohio State University Bachelor of Science in Social Work Program prepares students for generalist social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities. We develop leaders in social work whose practice promotes professional values and ethics and demonstrates commitment to difference and diversity. Our graduates will employ evidence-informed practice, advocate for and empower vulnerable populations, and advance social, economic, environmental, and political justice.
Bachelor of Science in Social Work Program Goals
- Prepare generalist social workers to use social work values and ethics to guide professional practice
- Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment to guide practice at multiple levels
- Possess knowledge and skills for working effectively with diverse and vulnerable populations
- Analyze social policy, promote social, economic, and environmental well-being, and challenge injustice
- Employ empirical evidence to inform, evaluate, and improve practice
- Develop a professional identity, with a commitment to life-long learning
Licensure/State Authorization Disclosure
Ohio State academic programs are designed to prepare students to sit for applicable licensure or certification in Ohio. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Ohio, please review state educational requirements for licensure and certification and state licensing board contact information. See go.osu.edu/onground.