OVERVIEW & Requirements
CORE VALUES OF SOCIAL WORK
The field education experience is where students engage with the core values of social work on a daily basis:
- Dignity and worth of the person
- Importance of human relationships
- Social Justice
UPDATE ON PAID FIELD EDUCATION EXPERIENCES
The College of Social Work understands the burden that an unpaid field placement experience can have on our students. For the past several years, we have been working to increase the number of paid opportunities available through workforce development grants, agencies that have the capacity to pay students, and our fee waiver program. Paid field placements are not guaranteed to students in our program.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM YOUR FIELD EXPERIENCE?
The practicum is designed to help you integrate your classroom knowledge into an agency or community setting. You can expect the following:
- Developing a learning agreement that will guide your learning and practice experiences in your agency setting
- Working one-on-one with an agency instructor who focuses on your learning agreement
- Completing weekly reflections and supervision log entries
- Being at the field placement two to three days per week, depending on your program (Field Hours Policy)
- Utilizing the Sonia Database to manage all documents electronically
- Practicing engagement, interviewing, assessment and evaluation
- Working with other professionals on a regular basis to learn from them
- Becoming competent in the practices of a professional social worker
Field Code of Conduct
Field Placement Roles: Please note that this will download a document.
Leave of Absence Request: If a leave of absence is needed, a form must be submitted to the appropriate offices. This covers leaves of up to twelve months.
Problem-Solving Phases in Field: If you’re having trouble in field, please look at this document first. It will direct you on who to contact.
HOW DO YOU REGISTER FOR FIELD (4189, 6189, 7189)?
Your program’s academic advisor will assist with creating an educational plan that will map out your courses, including the practicum experience.