OVERVIEW & Requirements
CORE VALUES OF SOCIAL WORK
Field placement is where the core values of social work should be apparent on a daily basis:
- Dignity and worth of the person
- Importance of human relationships
- Social Justice
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM YOUR FIELD PLACEMENT?
The field placement experience is designed to help you integrate your classroom knowledge into the practice setting. You can expect the following:
- Developing a learning agreement that will guide your learning and practice experiences in your agency setting
- Working one-on-one with a field instructor at your agency who focuses on your learning agreement
- Completing weekly reflections and supervision log entries
- Being in the field two to three days per week, depending on your program (Field Placement Hours Policy)
- Utilizing the Field Database to manage all documents electronically
- Practicing engagement, interviewing, assessment and evaluation
- Working with other professionals on a regular basis to learn from them
- Becoming competent in the practices of a professional social worker
Field Code of Conduct
Field Placement Roles: Please note that this will download a document.
Leave of Absence Request: If a leave of absence is needed, a form must be submitted to the appropriate offices. This covers leaves of up to twelve months.
Problem-Solving Phases in Field: If you’re having trouble in field, please look at this document first. It will direct you on who to contact.
HOW DO YOU REGISTER FOR FIELD?
Your program’s academic advisor will assist with creating an educational plan that will map out your courses, including field education.