2023 Evening of Recognition Information
- The Evening of Recognition will be held at The Covelli Center, 2640 Fred Taylor Dr, Columbus, OH 43210. Doors open for the general public at 5 p.m. and the event will begin at 6 p.m. All attendees (students and guests) must follow Covelli arena policies, including their bag policies and more.
- The Evening of Recognition is an event hosted by the College of Social Work to celebrate our graduating students. This is separate from Ohio State’s Commencement, which takes place on Sunday, May 7th.
- Diplomas are not awarded at this event.
- All graduates must RSVP for the event to reserve their seat. This is separate from tickets for attendees. RSVP here.
- Each graduate is guaranteed four guest tickets. Graduates do not need a ticket for themselves but must RSVP. Ticketing email information will come from email@example.com, please check your inbox and spam folder.
- For those who wish to bring a larger group, students must request additional tickets and will be notified at a later date if their waitlist is approved.
- If your guests require accessible seating, please indicate this when you register.
- RSVP using the link at the top of this page during the ticketing window.
- All graduates are encouraged to attend rehearsal. Rehearsal is on Friday 5/5 from 9:30–11 a.m. at The Covelli Center.
- Graduates must arrive by 4:30 p.m. on Saturday at The Covelli Center. You will enter through the main doors and volunteers will guide you once inside.
- All graduates must wear proper academic regalia.
- Do not bring regalia in plastic bags or on hangers, as there are limited trash containers.
- Undergraduate and master’s caps and gowns may be purchased from the Ohio State Bookstore(Barnes & Noble:1598 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43201). PhD caps and gowns may be purchased or rented at Ohio State Bookstores only.
- BSSW students should wear a citron tassel, MSWs wear black, PhDs wear gray. Tassels should be worn on the left side of the cap.
- Only BSSW students receive Latin Honors. Students will receive their Latin Honors cords at rehearsal or at the event.
- If you received honor cords as an undergraduate student, you may wear them.
- MSW students will be hooded on stage. Do not arrive wearing your hood.
- Do not bring personal items with you. There is no place to store them, and you will not return to the same seat after crossing the stage. Please leave personal items with a family member.
During the Ceremony
- CSW will live stream the ceremony for family members unable to attend in person.
- Your name will be announced as you cross the stage. MSW students will be “hooded” on stage.
- Names will be called according to where graduates are seated, not alphabetically.
- The auditorium is wheelchair accessible, but please indicate if you will need accessible seating when you RSVP.
- Guests should remain seated until after the graduates proceed out of the auditorium.
- Guests and graduates can access parking in the lot directly across from The Covelli Center. Parking for the event will be $10.
- A professional photographer will take your picture for purchase. Everyone will be photographed.
- Proofs can be ordered online within a few days of the ceremony. You will complete a “Reader Card” at the Evening of Recognition with your email address and mailing address. Providing this information is voluntary.
- A reception with dessert and refreshments will immediately follow the ceremony inside the Covelli Center.
Ohio State Sunday Commencement
- Information on Ohio State’s commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 7, can be found at commencement.osu.edu.