2019 Evening of Recognition Information
All additional tickets for Evening of Recognition have been claimed. Questions about tickets can be directed to the Wexner Center Patron Services desk at 614-292-3535 or by contacting Steve David (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the College of Social Work.
Friday, May 3
- Evening of Recognition will be held at Mershon Auditorium, 1871 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43210, Friday, May 3 at 6:30 p.m. Doors open for the general public at 6 p.m.
- The Evening of Recognition is an event hosted by the College of Social Work to celebrate our graduating students. This is separate from the OSU Commencement, which takes place on Sunday, May 5.
- Diplomas are not awarded at this event.
- All graduates must RSVP for the event between March 18 and April 2 to reserve their spot and tickets for guests.
- Each graduate is guaranteed four guest tickets. Graduates do not need a ticket for themselves.
- For those who wish to bring a larger group, any remaining tickets will be made available on a first come, first served basis on April 3 through the same ticketing link. Graduates may request up to 8 additional tickets at this time.
- If your guests require accessible seating, please indicate this when you register.
- RSVP using the link at the top of this page during the ticketing window.
- Rehearsal will take place on Wednesday, May 1, from 9 – 10 a.m. All graduates are encouraged to attend.
- Graduates must arrive by 5:45 p.m. at walkway between the Wexner Center for the Arts and the Mershon Auditorium on the south side of the auditorium. In the event of rain, graduates will line up at the loading dock on the High St. side of the building.
- All graduates must wear proper academic regalia.
- Do not bring regalia in plastic bags or on hangers, as there are limited trash containers.
- Undergraduate and master’s caps and gowns may be purchased from the Ohio State Bookstore (Barnes & Noble:1598 N. High St., Columbus, OH 43201). PhD caps and gowns may be purchased or rented at Ohio State Bookstores only.
- BSSW students should wear a citron tassel, MSWs wear black, PhDs wear gray. Tassels should be worn on the left side of the cap.
- Only BSSW students receive Latin Honors. Students will receive their Latin Honors cords at rehearsal or at the event.
- If you received honor cords as an undergraduate student, you may wear them.
- MSW students will be hooded on stage. Do not arrive wearing your hood.
- Do not bring personal items with you. There is no place to store them, and you will not return to the same seat after crossing the stage. Please leave personal items with a family member.
During the Ceremony
- CSW will live stream the ceremony for family members unable to attend in person.
- Your name will be announced as you cross the stage. MSW students will be “hooded” on stage.
- Names will be called according to where graduates are seated, not alphabetically.
- Mershon Auditorium does not allow balloons, tripods or outlet use for cameras or video.
- The auditorium is wheelchair accessible, but please indicate if you will need accessible seating when you RSVP.
- Guests are welcome to come down to the front of the auditorium to take pictures when your name is called, but must return to their seats after taking photos.
- Guests should remain seated until after the graduates proceed out of the auditorium.
- Guests can park in either the Ohio Union South or Arps parking garage.
- There is a flat $5 parking fee from 4–7 p.m.
- A professional photographer from Grad Images will take your picture for purchase. Everyone will be photographed.
- Proofs can be ordered online within a few days of the ceremony. You will complete a “Reader Card” at the Evening of Recognition with your email address and mailing address. Providing this information is voluntary.
- A reception with dessert and refreshments will immediately follow the ceremony in a tent on the south side of the auditorium.
OSU Sunday Commencement
- Information on Ohio State’s commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 5, can be found at commencement.osu.edu.