Social Enterprise & Impact Investing Education Certificate Program (Online)
Date: April 22, 2019 – May 31, 2019 (6 weeks)
Registration Deadline: April 19, 2019
The nonprofit world is changing, and the College of Social Work and the Wells Foundation are here to help you navigate this new wave of funding. In 2016 alone, foundations across the country deployed over $1 billion to fuel the impact made by local nonprofits and social enterprises. Will your nonprofit be next?
The Wells Foundation is a leader in helping your nonprofit identify and attain funding beyond traditional avenues.This online six-week certificate program will focus primarily on social entrepreneurship and impact investing and will give you the tools to secure the funding you need to create a positive impact in your community.
A social enterprise is a revenue-generating business whose primary objective is to directly confront social need through their products and services.
Impact investing refers to investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate a measurable, beneficial social or environmental impact alongside a financial return.
- Those who have an interest in the impact investing marketplace
- Anyone who has a desire to provide a product or service that will address a social need.
- CFOs, SFOs, executive directors, board members and nonprofit managers
- Foundations (public and private)
- Social enterprise teams and leaders
- How to bring sustainability to your organization and reduce your dependence on grants, donations, and reimbursements.
- Recognize what foundations are looking for in terms of impact investing and a social enterprise .
- Expand your skill-set beyond that of traditional funding models and stand out among investors.
- Week 1: Introduction to Social Impact & Industry Trends: Explore the foundation of social enterprise & the concepts of impact investing.
- Week 2: Impact Investors, Funders & Measuring Social Impact: This module will take a deeper dive into types of impact investments, the motivation & the expectations of funders.
- Week 3 & 4: Defining the Right Structure for Your Social Enterprise: This week will introduce the importance of legal structures, tackle tax myths and consider the use of a non-profit organization to house a social enterprise activity.
- Week 5: Joint Ventures: Starting a joint venture is the same as starting any other new organization. The difference is that the legal agreement between the two parties becomes much more important. Learn how it works.
- Week 6: Creating Shared Value: Examine how corporate social responsibility has evolved and is creating new marketing and venture philanthropy.
- This six-week online course has weekly modules that can be completed at a time that fits your schedule, in a location you choose.
- Course materials, lectures and learning activities are released weekly and can be completed at any time during a one-week window.
- There are integrated live sessions that provide opportunities to engage in real time with your instructor, experts and other students. If you are unable to participate in a live session, don’t worry, it will be recorded so you can view it when it fits your schedule.