How To Apply
PURSUING SOCIAL WORK AT OHIO STATE
Upon admission to the university, you will begin as a “pre-social work” student and complete pre-major coursework during your first two years of study. For information on admission to The Ohio State University, please visit Undergraduate Admissions and First Year Experience. If you are a current Ohio State student interested in changing your area of study to social work, or you are a transfer student from another institution interested in pursuing social work at Ohio State, you should contact one of the social work advisors listed below. All students are required to apply to the social work major, and the majority of students apply to the major during their second year. However, if you are able to complete all of the pre-major coursework during your first year, you can apply to begin your major during your second year in the College of Social Work. Transfer students and current Ohio State students changing their major to social work may be eligible to apply directly to the social work major if they have completed the pre-major coursework. Contact our social work advisors for additional information and to plan when you will apply to the social work major.
- All students with last names A-M should contact Andréa Severson.
- All students with last names N-Z should contact Stacy Song.
ADMISSION TO THE SOCIAL WORK MAJOR
The College of Social Work admits students to the major for fall semesters only, because major courses are offered one time per year and junior major courses commence in fall semesters. In general, the application materials to the major are available beginning the 10th week of fall semester. Applications are reviewed and admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, up until the start of the following fall semester or until the major has reached maximum capacity. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following standards:
- academic record
- composition and content of a personal statement
- evidence of emotional and professional readiness to work with clients
- work and/or volunteer experiences related to social work
- enrollment capacity
APPLYING IS EASY
Congratulations! You have decided to apply to be a major in the College of Social Work, one of the most prestigious social work schools in the nation and the longest, continuously accredited social work program in the United States. Our application process is designed to allow you to outline your motivation to enter the social work profession and increase the likelihood of a good match between you and the major. In order to apply to the Social Work major, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete the following pre-major course work prior to beginning the social work major in autumn semester:
- Biology 1102
- English 1110
- Math Placement Level R or higher or Math 1075
- Psychology 1100
- Social Work 1100 or equivalent, 1120, 1130, and 1140
- Sociology 1101
- Earn a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative point-hour ratio.
- Earn a minimum 2.0 pre-major point-hour ratio after completion of the required pre-major courses.
- Complete a Personal Statement.
- Submit a Degree Audit.
All future social work major students must complete the major application. If you are transferring into the social work major from another university or college, you must complete the application process to The Ohio State University as well as to the College of Social Work.
To apply to the major, you must submit the following application materials to the online BSSW Application Form:
- Personal Statement (please note only a Word or PDF document can be accepted)
- Degree Audit (current OSU students) or unofficial transcript (students transferring from another college or university)
- February 1, 2016: Early Action Deadline
Apply by February 1 to receive an admissions decision prior to your Autumn 2016 enrollment period opens.
June 1, 2016: Regular Decision Deadline
- Applications received beyond the June 1st deadline will be considered if space permits.
Students with questions regarding the social work major application process should contact Stacy Song at firstname.lastname@example.org.