The Ohio State University College of Social Work Logo

Gray background
Degrees & Programs

Child Abuse & Neglect Minor


The Child Abuse and Neglect Minor is designed to provide students from a wide range of majors with knowledge, skills and training in prevention, identification, and intervention of child abuse and neglect. This minor would provide visibility for securing employment in careers where child abuse and neglect are encountered and addressed, and thus be valuable for students interested in becoming teachers, principals, and other school personnel; physicians, nurses, and other health care workers; mental health and substance abuse professionals; coaches and athletic staff; child care providers; juvenile justice workers; lawyers; law enforcement officers; and social workers.

The Child Abuse and Neglect minor consists of 14-15 credit hours. At least 6 hours must be at the 3000-level and above. Some courses in this minor have pre-requisites. Please consult the course bulletin before enrolling in classes.

Required Core Courses (6 credit hours)

  • SOCWORK 5007: Child Welfare I (3)
  • SOCWORK 5008: Child Welfare II (3)

Select one of these courses (1-3 credit hours)

  • EDUCST 5880.07: Interprofessional Approaches to Child Abuse and Neglect (2)
  • HDFS 4370: Families and Stress (3; pre-req=HDFS 2200)
  • SOCWORK 5023: Family Violence: Social Work Perspectives and Interventions (3)

Select two of these courses; the selected courses must be from two different disciplines (6 credit hours)

Educational Psychology

  • ESEPY 2309: Psychological Perspectives on Education (3)

Human Development and Family Science

  • HDFS 2200: Family Development (3)
  • HDFS 2350: Parenting (3)


  • SOCIOL 3434: The Child and Society (3)
  • SOCIOL 4511: Juvenile Delinquency (3)

Social Work

  • SOCWORK 5014: Juvenile Delinquency and Correctional Practice in Social Work (3)
  • SOCWORK 5015: Social Work Practice and the Law (3)
  • SOCWORK 5798.03: An Exploration of Australia’s Systems of Care (3)

Find out more here and please contact the College of Social Work at for more details.