ADMISSION TO THE SOCIAL WORK MAJOR
The College of Social Work admits students to the major for fall semesters only, because major courses are offered one time per year and junior major courses commence in fall semesters. In general, the application materials to the major are available beginning the 10th week of fall semester. Applications are reviewed and admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, up until the start of the following fall semester or until the major has reached maximum capacity. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following standards:
- academic record
- composition and content of a personal statement
- evidence of emotional and professional readiness to work with clients
- work and/or volunteer experiences related to social work
- enrollment capacity
CAREER ACCELERATION PLAN (CAP)
Select students may be eligible to pursue an advanced program to quickly complete the BSSW in three semesters.
APPLYING IS EASY
Congratulations! You have decided to apply to be a major in the College of Social Work, one of the most prestigious social work schools in the nation and the longest, continuously accredited social work program in the United States. Our application process is designed to allow you to outline your motivation to enter the social work profession and increase the likelihood of a good match between you and the major. In order to apply to the Social Work major, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete the following pre-major course work prior to beginning the social work major in autumn semester:
- Biology 1102
- English 1110
- Psychology 1100
- Social Work 1100 or equivalent, 1120, 1130, and 1140
- Sociology 1101
- Students admitted to Ohio State Summer 2018 and earlier will also need to fulfill pre-major requirement Math Placement Level R or higher or Math 1075
- Students admitted to Ohio State Autumn 2018 and later will also need to complete pre-major course, Social Work 3301 or equivalent
- Earn a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative point-hour ratio.
- Earn a minimum 2.0 pre-major point-hour ratio after completion of the required pre-major courses.
- Complete a Personal Statement.
- Submit a Degree Audit.
CURRENT OSU STUDENTS AND STUDENTS TRANSFERRING FROM ANOTHER UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE
All future social work major students must complete the major application. Admission to the major is required in order to enroll in social work major courses.
If you are transferring into the social work major from another university or college, you must complete the application process to The Ohio State University as well as to the College of Social Work.
APPLICATION DEADLINES FOR AUTUMN 2021
- Early Action Deadline: February 1, 2021
- Regular Decision Deadline: June 1, 2021
Students who apply by the Early Action Deadline are guaranteed an admissions decision prior to your Autumn 2021 registration window opening.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The earlier you apply, the sooner you will receive an admissions decision. Students may be asked to come in for an interview before an admissions decision can be made.
Please note you may only apply to one campus; students are accepted or denied admittance to the social work major, not to specific campuses.
Students with questions regarding the social work major application process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.