How To Apply
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS TO THE MASTER OF SOCIAL WORK PROGRAM
Thank you for your interest in the MSW program at The Ohio State University. The following steps will guide you through the application process. If you have additional questions, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page. You may also contact the MSW Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-292-2972. We will respond to emails within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
If you are a current student in the OSU Graduate School, or have been previously admitted to the OSU Graduate School, please contact the MSW Program Office for instructions.
Applicants who are interested in a fellowship nomination need to have all application materials submitted by December 13, 2016. Fellowship nominations do require a GRE score. For more information regarding Graduate School Fellowships, please click here.
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will be available October 15, 2016.
Priority will be given to applications submitted by March 1, 2017.
PROGRAM OPTIONS/ACADEMIC AREA:
- There are multiple program options for students seeking a graduate degree at the Ohio State College of Social Work. The two-year MSW program is completed in four semesters, but the MSW degree can also be earned on a part-time basis over either a three- or four-year period.
- If you have recently completed an undergraduate degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program, you may be eligible for the full-time Advanced Standing Alternative Plan (ASAP). ASAP students obtain their MSW degree in three semesters.
COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ONLINE:
- OSU Graduate School Admission Application at: http://gradapply.osu.edu. Applicants must pay the non-refundable $60 application fee (or $70 for international applicants) with a credit card, debit card or electronic check.
- If you are a current OSU student, log into Buckeye Link and go to your self-service menu option. (The navigation is Self Service > OSU Application > Application Selection.) If you are not a current OSU student, create an account.
- Select your Academic Area: Masters Social Work -part time; Masters Social Work – full time; Advanced Standing Alternate Plan – part time; Advanced Standing Alternate Plan – full time.
- Complete the Personal Data tab.
- Complete the Contact Data tab.
- Complete the Academic Data tab:
- Upload one official transcript from every college and university attended (OSU transcripts exempted). GPA is calculated on all undergraduate college level work attempted.
- If your undergraduate grade-point average is below 3.0 on a 4.0 system (or below B or equivalent on a non-traditional system), provide official test scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- International applicants must submit the results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
- Complete the Program Data tab.
- Complete the Final Steps/Submit tab:
- Upload a Personal Statement. Please read the FAQ section for guidelines regarding what to include in your personal statement.
- Advanced Standing Alternate Plan (ASAP) applicants only – Upload a copy of your Field Practicum Evaluation using the Doc. Of Practical Experience field.
- Upload your resume or curriculum vitae. It should be no longer than two pages and include your educational, work, and volunteer activities.
- Submit the names and email addresses of persons you are asking to submit letters of recommendation. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted online. Please read the FAQ section for guidelines regarding the letters of recommendation.
CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE:
- The status of your application may be checked during the admission process by visiting http://gradadmissions.osu.edu/ (see Quick Links).
Application materials are confidential and only authorized personnel have access to admission files. Materials submitted for admission will not be returned to the applicant.