Advanced Certificate in Serving Veterans and Their Families
Advanced Certificate in Serving Veterans and Their Families (Online)
Date: May 8-July 28 (14 weeks)
With more than 22 million veterans in the United States, the need to understand the issues these veterans and their families face is great. To help bridge the gap, the College of Social Work at The Ohio State University has created an Advanced Certification in Serving Veterans and Their Families.
This is a 14-week, holistic exploration of military culture and the impact it has on veterans and their families. Participants will gain important insight into the life view of a veteran and how it may influence their mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health.
The Advanced Certificate in Serving Veterans and Their Families is a post-graduate program that provides a new approach for social workers, nurses, therapists and others interested in learning more about how to serve veterans and their families.
- Comprehend military structure and culture, gaining an appreciation for the differences between military branches across eras
- Examine the readjustment process for veterans and families, factors that help and inhibit from a person-in-the-environment perspective
- Interpret physical strengths, deficits and chronic challenges for both short-term and long-term functioning during military service
- Evaluate common behavioral health issues facing veterans and their families; factors that enhance successful outcomes and wellness
- Value the role of spirituality in veteran functioning, concept of moral injury, potential for positive spiritual practices and religious networks
- Appraise veteran social functioning across social systems (i.e., home, friendship, work) appreciating interactive influences
- Identify and use resources for veterans and their families
Participants will gather in Columbus on Monday, May 8, for an evening networking event, and on Tuesday, May 9, for a one-day class. All other coursework is conducted online asynchronously, which allows students to log on according to their own schedule and participate through discussion boards and other activities.
For more information, please contact Sara Friedman at email@example.com or 614-292-5167.