AN EXCELLENT CURRICULUM AT THE COLLEGE OF SOCIAL WORK:
- Produces Graduates Committed to the Profession — Our students embrace the values of the profession, take pride in their identity as social workers, and work for the advancement of the social work profession.
- Addresses Diversity in its Local Context — The curriculum reflects an understanding of the unique diversity of the Columbus and Central Ohio area. (e.g. Somalia and Appalachian populations).
- Conducts Student Assessment that Confirms Mastery — Our approach to assessing students confirms that each individual has mastered the competencies defined for the class.
- Produces Shovel Ready Graduates — Students leave prepared to practice, with excellent skills in all facets of their area of practice. We engage the practice community in an evolving definition of shovel ready.
- Stays Connected with the Practice Community — A progressive and dynamic curriculum includes an awareness of trends in the community and is prepared to adapt to and influence those trends.
- Is Hands-On & Immediately Relevant — A clear connection exists between the course work and practice in the community. Every course has hands-on opportunities and students leave every curriculum sequence with an understanding of its importance in their future practice.
- Recognizes the Ubiquity of Addiction — Addiction disorders are often the defining characteristic of the intractable client in many practice settings. The curriculum prepares all students to understand and respond to addiction.
- Creates Practitioners Prepared for Advocacy & Leadership — Our students leave with skills and a commitment to seek change at micro and macro levels.
- Recognizes the Integration of Micro & Macro Practice — The effective practitioner has skills to practice with individuals and families, but also communities and organizations. Students have the opportunity to develop advanced skills in both areas.
- Teaches Evidence Informed Practice — Students can think critically about interventions and their application to unique client populations.